NCSB SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARDDownload the Application
Philosophy and Purpose
The NCSB Special Recognition Award is given to individuals who have demonstrated exemplary commitment and contribution(s) in the area of regulation at the state level. Eligible activities or achievements for which the award will be given include, but are not limited to, program development through an innovative and replicable design, extraordinary service and commendable contributions to a state licensure board, and/or recent advocacy activities leading to changes in regulation. Exemplary contributions may be evidenced by a single, specific activity, or by a series of related, integrated activities resulting in the achievement of a common goal.
The NCSB Special Recognition Award will be presented annually at the fall conference/meeting of the NCSB. The person chosen to receive this award will receive a certificate or plaque in acknowledgement of the award with a letter of commendation from NCSB to the licensing board in the state where service occurred or the organization or other entity where the person works or is employed. Reimbursement for the hotel and travel expenses will be given, if approved by the Board of Directors, in accordance with the current NCSB Reimbursement Policy.
Criteria for Selection
A nominee for the NCSB Special Recognition Award should have demonstrated outstanding contributions/achievements as specified below:
- Demonstrated exemplary commitment and contribution(s) in the area of regulation at the state level. Examples might include:
- program development at the state level through an innovative and replicable design;
- extraordinary service and commendable contributions to a state licensure board; or
- recent advocacy activities leading to changes in regulation at the state level.
- Exemplary contributions may be evidenced by a single, specific activity, or by a series of related, integrated activities resulting in the achievement of a common goal.
- The contributions made to the state licensing board/committee, organization and/or NCSB must have proven to be of benefit to the NCSB, the state board, the professions, and/or to consumers of speech-language pathology and audiology services. The specific impact on professionals or consumers must be documented in the nomination form.
- Nominations for the NCSB Special Recognition Award are to be submitted to the NCSB Business Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, by June 15. The individual nominated must be or have been associated with at least one of the following:
- Currently serve on a state licensing board or committee or have status as a paid employee of the entity;
- Are a past member of a state licensing board or committee;
- Are a past member of the NCSB Board of Directors; or
- Are affiliated with a professional organization or other entity whose focus is on regulatory issues facing the profession.
- The nomination must include:
- Completion of NCSB Special Recognition Award nomination form (page 4 of pdf). Submission of the form is restricted to NCSB members.
- Narrative describing the nomination, not to exceed three pages (in a font no smaller than 10 point and double spaced), which addresses the following areas in addition to providing a complete description of the activities, program initiative(s) and other contributions of the individual being nominated.
- Background information about the individual leader, including the individual’s personal efforts which have led to the education of the public, a program initiative, enhancement of the professions at the state level, etc.;
- How the activity addressed a need to the professions and/or licensing board at the state level;
- Why the initiative or activity was innovative or exemplary.
- Were the efforts sustainable?
- Did the activity or initiative comply with the mission of the state licensure board, NCSB, or the organization/entity concerned with regulatory issues for the professions at the state level;
- Was the activity connected to advancing the work of the professions at the state level?
- Did the NCSB and/or state licensing board and/or consumers benefit from the initiative or activity?
- Concluding statements about how the efforts of the nominee demonstrated exemplary volunteerism to the NCSB or the state licensing board/committee and/or the professions.
- One letter of support.
- Each member state, member organization/entity or individual member is limited to the submission of one nomination per year.
- A complete copy of the nomination packet may be submitted by email, email@example.com.
- The Committee will select a nominee or nominees qualified to receive the award and submit their recommendation(s) to the NCSB Board of Directors for final approval.
- April 1: Call for nominations for the NCSB Special Recognition Award is sent to all members of NCSB.
- June 15: Deadline for receipt of nominations; nomination packets are reviewed for completeness and reasonable efforts will be made to follow-up with anyone who submitted an incomplete packet.
- August 15: Notification sent to award recipients.
- October: Award is presented at the fall conference.
- October: After the fall conference, Honors Committee Chair and president of NCSB send letter to award recipient’s home state licensure board and/or employer.
Download the Application
Amended and approved March 2018
Timelines revised March 2018